Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A Guest Post by Kristin Mahoney


 
Author, Kristin Mahoney
 Welcome Kristin Mahoney!  
 
Kristin's book that's on the NYSRA Charlotte Book Award Intermediate Ballot. 
1.    I wrote Annie’s Life in Lists because . .. 

I noticed that my two daughters liked to make lists of things that were important to them, and I thought it would be really interesting to try telling a whole story as a series of lists.

I also liked the idea of writing about a kid who had a knack for remembering tiny details about people that others might never even notice. That’s what I was like as a kid (and as an adult too, actually!).


2.    Readers should read my books . ..

if they like stories about funny things that happen to regular kids. Also if they like stories about kids who usually want to do what’s right, but are realizing as they get older that it’s not always so easy to know what the right choice is.
3.    My favorite place to read . . .

In summer: on a beach or my screened-in porch

In winter: Under a blanket by the fireplace
4.    A book that has touched my heart . . .

There are so many! I will say the first that always comes to mind is Charlotte’s Web. But two more recent examples are Lucky Broken Girl by Ruth Behar and The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore.
5.    I collect my ideas for writing . . .

Lots of places…memories from my own childhood, conversations with my children (who are currently both in middle school), funny things I notice in the world. Before I wrote my second book, The 47 People You’ll Meet in Middle School, I actually emailed a bunch of friends and asked them to tell me about unique “characters” they’d known when they were in middle school and high school. Some of their examples found their way into the book. I find that most people I meet have so many fantastic and funny stories (I just make sure to ask for permission before putting them into a book!).

6.    A project I’m currently working on . . .

My next book is scheduled to be published in the summer of 2021. It doesn’t have a title yet, but I can tell you it’s about a fifth-grader who wants to be perfect all the time…and how she handles the consequences when things don’t go according to plan for her.
7.    Readers should know . . . 

That I love hearing their thoughts about my books! It’s so interesting to me to learn which characters readers identify with, what makes them laugh, and what makes them think about life differently.

I remember taking a class in college where I learned that some writers believe that once their work is in the world, it no longer belongs to them. Instead, it belongs to the readers. And I really like that idea…it’s fascinating that readers can help me look at something I wrote in a whole new way!

Thank you so much for visiting, Kristin!  

Make sure to visit Kristin's website!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment