Friday, February 1, 2019

Our Tree: A Poem

Happy Poetry Friday!

Today's roundup is being hosted at The Opposite of Indifference.

"Our Tree" 
Photo by Amy Merrill

I thought I'd take a risk today and put one of my poems out there into the world. This poem was inspired by my lovely friend and author, Amy Ludwig Vanderwater. Thank you, Amy, for all you do to inspire both students and their teachers!  (You are a beautiful soul!). Check ou Amy's poem that was the inspiration for my poem. She explains that it is called a then and now poem. I love to watch this tree that's in front of my house, as it changes with the seasons. My late husband had it planted when we first moved into our home. It's stood tall throughout the years, watching as our family grew. I know it will live on, as do our memories.


Our Tree

When we moved into our house
there were no trees
(twe needed a tree to feel like home)
one was planted in the spring
it was quite small
it would grow
as our family grew.

Now as I look out my
window I see our tree
reminding me of John
because he's gone
but our tree remains standing .
A reminder of love
It will live on.
as do memories.









19 comments:

  1. So nice to have you post for Poetry Friday, Amy. Thanks for sharing your lovely, heartfelt poem. Love the photo of your tree too. There is a different kind of stark beauty in bare branches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jama~ I adore the various looks of John's tree throughout the seasons! Thank you for your beautiful words of encouragement.

      Delete
  2. This is really beautiful...a then and now and a tribute. You must smile through a few tears sometimes when that tree is waving at you. I'm so glad you posted today. I hope you do again. Poetry Friday is a wonderful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, Linds, thank you! Not just for the warm and kind words but for that image of the tree (or John) waving at me! (Inspiration for another poem!).

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This means a lot to me! Is this Janet? ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  4. Yay you for being so brave and posting your poem to share. I hope you feel welcomed and appreciated. I'm loving your tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kathryn, I do. Thank you for the kind words! My tree is so lovely and will stand as a lifetime,e reminder of my John and his love for me.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for joining us, Amy! How fun that you are using AmyLV's poem as inspiration...your tree is a wonderful custodian of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabatha, thank you! Yes, Amy has been a wonderful friend and inspiration.

      Delete
  6. I love the challenges...more like nudges...that Amy includes with her poems. This is a beautiful now and then poem with so much heart and so much truth. This is a safe community for sharing your writing. Be brave more often and feel your confidence grow...like that tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank for for the encouraging words, Mary Lee. It feels great to finally share with the world. A great community for sure!

      Delete
  7. Trees are needed to make a home. Your husband was wise & now you can love the tree as you love him. Beautiful connection & love that you were inspired by Amy's work, a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! Yes he was very wise. ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  8. Writing about the ordinary things in our lives, and making them special, that is a great poet's eye at work. And working from a mentor poem from Amy LV, who could go wrong. Be brave sharing your work and keep on writing. You might consider coming to a Highlights Foundation workshop in the fall (not sure about conflicts with school). Rebecca Kai Dotlitch and Georgia Heard teach a wonderful one. Lots of prompts and quick writes and shares. That is the hard part for me. I am not a quick write person most of the time. I revise and revise, but at the workshop you are surrounded by inspirational poets and learn a lot. The Highlights Foundation is a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! I've always wanted to go! Is it on a weekend?

      Delete
  9. Sometimes! Check their website. There are all kinds of workshops. Maybe something in summer would work.....

    ReplyDelete